My aircraft exhaust system (O-200) has 1.5" dia exhaust pipes coming off
each jug, which are collected to a single 1.5" pipe on each side. One expert
told me that the collector pipe was too small and should equal approx. twice
the area of the 2 single pipes. However on intakes, WW says that you don't
need to have a carb inlet dia equal to 6 times each individual cyl. intake
because they are not all sucking at the same time. Does this apply to
exhaust as well? Since the individual pipes are not feeding the exhaust
simultaneously, is there a need to increase the dia. at the collector?

Scott Black
Montreal