Know a guy who didn't glass his Volmer VJ-22 Amphibian, just did a good glue
job and used Auto paint......remember him saying it hadn't leaked in over
20yrs.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rudi Venter" <r...@rudix.servepics.com>
To: <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 6:17 AM
Subject: Re: KR> KR fuselage finish?

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I see your point. I think as far as "stronger" is concerned I
should have rather said "better sealed". I am concerned about water and
oil getting into the wood. I often operate from unpaved runways
(sometimes just dirt roads), sometimes wet ones and little stones kicked
up can play havoc with a finish. It might be worthwhile to just glass
the bottom of the fuselage for protection.

I know you can get a superb finish without glassing! I would also expect
the glass to be slightly heavier than a well done non-glass finish.

Thanks, I will make sure I use Feather Fill or if I can find it a local
equivalent.

I need to decide soon as it is pretty much my next step, the rest of the
plane is just about finished other than the seats, engine and instrument
installation as well as painting.

Regards,
Rudi