I don't know if this is on point, but my '96 Firebird (recommended tune up
cycle @ 100,000 miles at a cost of anywhere from $800.00 - $1,200.00
depending on who you go to), has 236,000 miles on the LT1 350 cid small
block on the original ignition components. When I lost a fuel pump last
year, they pulled a couple of plugs to see what running over-lean had done
or might have done and the mechanic told me the insulators were snow white
and there was no significant 'wear' on the electrodes. On my run to osh this
year at my normal run speed of 2000 rpm (79 mph) I also got 26.1 mpg,
windows closed, A/C on.

This might give more credence to the idea that electronic engine management
computers and high energy ignitions are a lot more reliable than any mag /
points driven ignition system will be. Keep in mind that, other than being
made of aluminum, the design of the small block 'Chevy' hasn't changed a
whole lot in 40+ years. (Or for purists, the 1955 265 cid has the same
"basic" configuration (other than bore and stroke and main bearing
configuration). Adding electronic engine controls, electronic fuel
injection, and controlled (electronic) ignition profiling to the corvair
power plant that is properly balanced, blueprinted, and cammed (with the
newly developed fifth bearing), I expect to have a 'bulletproof' motor in
the KR2S I am working on.

My opinion, for what it is worth. As they say, your results may vary.

Mark W.
N952MW (res.)