I have oil cooler heat in my Velocity and it is excellant. Highly recommend it.
Victor Taylor

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 7, 2010, at 1:57 PM, "Mark Langford" <n5...@hiwaay.net> wrote:

Craig wrote:

After meeting with Mark Jones and seeing his plane last weekend I came up
with
the idea to use the heat output of the oil cooler for cockpit heat.  Any
thoughts on why this may not be a good idea?

Conventional wisdom is that oil coolers simply won't provide nearly enough
heat for really cold temperatures.  Exhaust headers are running 1300 degrees
or so, while the cooler in the winter might be 180 at the most.  That'a a
huge difference, and you are also limited by the cooler's surface area.
There's a lot of exhaust pipe out there, and at least in my case, it's dirt
simple to get the heat into the cabin from the exhaust.  There's a reason
why just about every factory plane (and others as well) use the exhaust pipe
"stove" method, and it's effectiveness.  Even Volkswagens and Corvairs use
it for a reason, and given the liability of carbon monoxide poisoning, you
know there has to be a strong postive on the side of exhaust stove heating.
Other than Jon's example, I think you'll be hard pressed to find many
instances of the oil cooler being used for cabin heat, especially in colder
climates.

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com