Back when I first started flying my KR, I was in the process of going from
gaffer's tape gap seals to some that I made up from fiberglass layups.  But
between the two, I decided I needed to fly a little, so I flew one day without
any kind of gaps seals at all between stub wings and outer wings.  A nasty
surprise awaited on takeoff...I was worried that I'd take out the trees at the
end of the runway!  I was shocked at how much the climb rate was affected by
the absense of gap seals.  I had a 1.5" gap in there, and it made a huge
difference.

A recent Barnaby Wainfan article in Kitplanes magazine explained the physics
behind that phenomenon, and a 1/2" gap can kill off something like 40% of your
lift.  The gist of it is that you basically have three wingtips on each side
now, along with the associated lift penalty.  I mention this to keep you from
making the same mistake I made...and now you know why I reduced my wing gap
down to 1/16" recently, and it's currently covered with gaffer's tape...

Mark Langford
N56ML "at" hiwaay.net
website at http://www.N56ML.com