I feel like sticking up for the retractable gear.  My first KR had them
and they worked beautifully.  The covers that covered the wheels when
retracted acted as speed brakes with the gear extended.  I don't know if
these wheelcovers/drag brakes were part of the original design, but I
think so.  I stressed the heck out of that gear when learning to fly and
land the KR . . . and later on rough strips.  Never a problem.  I don't
know why there is such bias against the retractable gear . . . it's
certainly not universal.

In those instances where the downlocks failed I suspect it was because
somebody didn't build the gear correctly or use a heavy duty spring bar .
. . I don't know.  I'm pretty sure - based on my experiences with my own
gear - that something went awry in the building process or the KR was way
heavy.  Or the people in it were way heavy.    My gear was fine.
Sparky's was fine for 800+ hours.  Others' planes with retractable gear
work fine.  I'd just as soon have them now instead of the fixed gear that
I've got.  They're slick.

Some KR's are built and modified these days to an extent that puts them
beyond the weight Ken's original gear was designed for, so for these
later, fatter KR's I suppose fixed gear is advisable.

http://s365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/Matsapha/N33751/

Mike
KSEE

$13/Month Car Insurance?
Insurance deal just passed now allows you to get car insurance for $13
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4cbe8c162ed54712cbm04vuc