Among all the distractions, I hope no one minds that i get a bit of topic and
start talking about aircraft conversions
I was wondering why so far I did not see any headers on corvair engines.
On cars, headers accounted for up to 5% increase in horse power. What is the
reason
why the same can not be true for aircraft conversions? I guess at cruise the
exhaust gases are efficiently
evacuated and maybe headers will not give much of an increase in hp. But still
I think it would be a benefit
for the weight at take-off and climb. And also would increase the smoothness of
the engine.
Looking at the exhaust examples, I wonder if the exhaust really is tuned for
the engine, or can the back-pressure
be smoothed out.