What is PVA?

In a message dated 11/23/2010 8:04:39 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
l...@vandyke5.com writes:

Sorry  PVA.  I hate this iPhone sometimes

On  Nov 23, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Lee Van Dyke <l...@vandyke5.com>  wrote:

> If you know that you will have to sand V/E you can spray  pcs on the
> area that you layed up, it will help form a "crust" if you  will.  Then
> sand easy peasy lemon  squeezie

PVA is Poly Vinyl Alcohol.  It is sometimes used as a mold release agent so
that molded parts won't stick to the mold surface.  The PVA is water
soluable and will easily wash off the part.  The PVA will absorb some of the
wax film that would otherwise form on the surface of the part during the
curing of the wet layup.  Resin manufacturers put the wax in the resin (both
Epoxy and Vinyl Ester) to keep the curing resin from absorbing moisture from
the air.  The absorbed moisture would interfere with the curing process.
Another easy method to get the surface wax film off the cured part is to
wipe with MEK (Methal Ethyl Ketone).  Don't use Acetone; it is too
aggresive, evaporates too fast and will leave it's own residue.  Then you
have to wipe the Acetone residue off with MEK.  Have plenty of ventilation
AND do wear protective gloves when handling all of these toxic chemicals.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA
smw...@md.metrocast.net