Rich,
You're absolutely correct.  I realize that I hadn't considered some
important facts concerning my statement.

I) The Safety expert I was quoting was the head of the national automobile
safety commission, or some such body, from I think either Holland or
Sweden.  It's been too long now since I watched the presentation. So I  imagine
he was using data collected in either Europe or even his own country
specifically, and it  wouldn't necessarily be accurate for the U.S.

2) Also, it was back in the mid nineties when I saw this, and the trend
even here in the states was not decreasing substantially at that time,
certainly  not like it should have been with all the safety innovations added
cars in  the previous decades.

I believe the basic principal he was  illustrating, that just because  the
equipment you are operating is designed with safety features, does not mean
it will save you from stupidity.

I certainly can not count the number of times I have seen some idiot after
a car crash complaining that they don't understand how they hit the  person
they were tailgating at 50 mph in the rain, when they have anti-lock
breaks.  Those are the people that need the airbags and all the other  passive
safety devices, because they haven't learned safe operations.

Todd

In a message dated 1/21/2011 4:03:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,