Hello everyone,

I haven't been here in awhile, so don't know if this has been covered or
not, but I want to share this.  I have not found any company that is
displaying real-time weather, usually XM Weather, on an iPad in flight.
This is an Apple restriction.  Flight Prep has an app called iChart, but
it does not do any weather.  ForeflightHD app is an excellent product
for the iPhone, iPad, iPod and the Android phone with weather and
charts.  It does not do real-time weather unless you have a Wi-Fi or G3
connection.  The Android and "i" versions are not the same either.  It's
free for 30 days if you want to check it out.

If you are using an XM Weather receiver, most likely WX-Worx, and have
it piped to a laptop, via Bluetooth, Ethernet or RS232 and you would
like to see it displayed on your iPad, there is an easy way.

Using an app called iTap, and there are some others that do the same
thing, you can connect your iPad to your laptop using the RDP (Remote
Desktop Protocol) and wha-lah, Flight Prep is on your iPad.  You can see
everything that you could on your laptop, it just may be smaller.  Many
other apps with charts are better viewing on the iPad than using RDP,
ForeflightHD is one, but this is the only way that I have found to view
real-time weather on your iPad rather than using a more bulky laptop.
Connected to the iPad by Wi-Fi you can put your running laptop in the
back, on a shelf etc., and use the smaller iPad and then tuck it out of
the way when not in use.

This system has been very handy in the airplane that I fly.  Once the
avionics switch is on, the bluetooth XM receiver powers up, I turn on
the laptop, start FlightPrep (or not)  and set it to connect to the Ad
Hoc network.  I then put it back on a rack out of the way.  When I want
to check real-time weather I take up the iPad and connect to the lap-top
using iTap, open Flight Prep or even start it if I had forgotten and see
all of the XM products that I have through Flight Prep just as if I was
using the bulky laptop.  Very slick.

Yes of course you can use your $3,000 Garmin 696.  But can you take the
696 with you anywhere and do email or browse the net, pay your bills,
etc.  To some this might seem like a duct-tape solution to get to see
the weather on my iPad, but once I'm done looking I can stash the iPad
in a very small space.  And I have the iPad for other uses.

I have no connection to any of these company's, I do not remember what
any of the apps cost (not much) and your mileage may vary.

Kevin Jarvis
Ottumwa/Naples
N5601T