Jonathan wrote:

> I'm new and currently interested at buying a KR-2 and I was wondering 2
> things.  The compressions are 58, 71, 73, 75 is this good?

These numbers are the result of a differential compression test, with 80
being perfect, 0 being "dead hole".  The rule of thumb is if there's more
than a 20% difference in compression, something needs to be fixed.
80/58=1.38, so you've got a 38% difference in that one cylinder, so it needs
fixing.  It may be something as simple as a tight exhaust valve on a VW.  To
give you a clue of how that stacks up, the worst compression I've seen on my
engine in the last 330 hours has been 78/80 on one cylinder.  Most of the
rest at 80/80.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website www.n56ml.com