Jonathan, You can do math to calculate whether this engine needs attention or
not, but if an engine with this small of an individual cylinder displacement
came into my shop, there would be no question in my mind that it would get some
attention before leaving.  It is possible that it *could* be a valve
adjustment, but with all of them off just a little, my best guess would be that
the heads need to come off to have the valves and seats ground.  If you are
thinking about buying this engine, then deduct the cost of a valve job from the
value. -Jeff Scott  ---------- Original Message ----------
Jonathan wrote:

> I'm new and currently interested at buying a KR-2 and I was wondering 2
> things.  The compressions are 58, 71, 73, 75 is this good?

These numbers are the result of a differential compression test, with 80
being perfect, 0 being "dead hole".  The rule of thumb is if there's more
than a 20% difference in compression, something needs to be fixed.
80/58=1.38, so you've got a 38% difference in that one cylinder, so it needs
fixing.  It may be something as simple as a tight exhaust valve on a VW.  To
give you a clue of how that stacks up, the worst compression I've seen on my
engine in the last 330 hours has been 78/80 on one cylinder.  Most of the
rest at 80/80.

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website www.n56ml.com