From: BadBob
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:10 PM
To: kr...@mylist.net
Subject: Epoxy canopy.

This is the forth attempt to send this through......:

After receiving an email from an overseas KR driver advising of a different
approach to gluing canopies
I tried a little test.

One sample was with two layers of cloth and Aeropoxy. The second was with
one layer
glued with cheap polyester resin (Bondo) with peel ply followed (after
curing) with a layer
of cloth glued with Aeropoxy (to check compatibility).

The side with Aeropoxy only is strong but can be peeled with some effort.
Mark L?s canopy is
attached with this approximate method and has yet to exit the aircraft in
flight (a good thing!).

The side with polyester glue on the bottom layer to attach to the plastic
will not come off short of
destruction of the assembly! The second layer, glued with the Aeropoxy, with
not come loose from the
underlayment except where there was a bubble of separation.

My conclusion (please form your own) is that the canopy should be glued to
the glass with polyester
followed by glass (carbon fiber) glued with your favorite epoxy resin to
attach to the canopy frame.

The results can be seen in the last picture of my picture log:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103552664644911775549/KR2SS#

Your results may vary.....that method has not been flight tested.

Bob Johnson
Willamina, OR
(971)-645-9491
badbob0...@embarqmail.com