I have been attending the Oshkosh EAA Convention since 1978 and have been
fortunate enough to have attended every year since that time. I have had many
friends during all these years like some of you who have flown their homebuilt
airplanes there. Some of them have been damaged by unknowing, uncaring or
careless spectators. I have seen unsupervised children climb and stand on the
tail section of taildragger aircraft for example. I have watched guys with
cameras hanging around their necks lean over to have a look inside, as their
camera swings out dinging/scratching a perfect paint job. I have had to tell
kids to get off the tail of an airplane while their ignorant parents looked at
me thinking, who is this guy telling their children what to do. The idea of a
guy spending 20 years building his dream machine, the desire to take and
display his creation at Oshkosh only to find upon arrival that his plane the
main attraction to the show has to pay full camping and admission price while
risking damage to it. That is the same as a NFL player paying to play the game
while the owners/organizers reap all the benefits!!!!!
You Oshkosh old-timers like me will remember when you had to be a pilot or an
EAA member to cross the fence to enter the area where the airplanes were
parked. The idea was that an airplane person or family would know how to treat
these delicate works of art.
Then when the commercialization took over, pedal to the metal cash cow idea ?
Oh! let's make all the local and passer by non airplane people happy by letting
them and their hellion kids have full access to everything including airplanes.
All so they will keep coming back and paying their money to get in year after
year, while not having to become an EAA member to have such access. After all
who wants to keep coming back year after year if full access is denied for a
one day admission ticket! Right?
I have thought from the very beginning that the homebuilt show plane builders
or owners having to pay full admission was ridiculous and not fair. Those
builder pilots spend an enormous amount of time and money to get a plane built
and readied for such an exhibition. As I have said for 30+ years they are the
show. I have said, what would the convention do if all of them decided to NOT
SHOW UP one year? What would the attendees look at? Williams jet engines? A new
$500,000.00 Cessna?
I thought taking the fence down and turning non airplane people loose on
peoples life long dreams was a mistake and I still do think that
It used to be our ( the EAA members) convention, then it got turned over to the
public. I still go to Oshkosh because of guys like some of you that I see there
and many other lifelong friends I have met there and some of them I only see
there.
I have seen a lot of negative things over the years revolving around EAA but I
have also seen a lot of good. If things were just completely terrible I guess
we would just quit going.

Larry H
Sent from my iPad