I have had this model of fuel probe in all three tanks of my KR from day 1,
which is now over 14 years of flying. They work great when they are working and
give good stable and accurate information. However, I have had cronic problems
with the grounding wire that wraps around the base of the probe inside the
tank. The wire is attached to the probe with a pop rivet, but there is a
problem with the wire and the probe being dissimilar metals, so even in the dry
climate here in NM, it gets some galvanic corrosion due to the dissimilar
metals, which allows the ground on the probe to float. That causes intermittent
low fuel readings, then the gauge eventually quits. I have replaced all three
probes on my plane at least once and have had repeat problems with some of
them. I'm sure others will write in and tell you they have never had a problem
with theirs. My experience with using these for 14 years and 850+ hours is OK,
but not as good as I would have expected for something with no moving parts. It
seems that I get roughly 5 years of service before I have to remove the wings
so I can pull these probes out for maintenance. That is not satisfactory IMHO,
but your mileage may vary. :o)

 My recommendation would be to look into the heavier capacitance fuel probes
used by Vans in their aircraft.

 -Jeff Scott
 Los Alamos, NM