Hi John,

The std beetle block is mag ally although there may be non mag cases out
there.Mag cases should definitely be painted as moisture dissolves magnesium
which gradually weakens the case. That's why mag wheels are always painted.
Possibly not an issue in El Paso.

See the following
http://www.1st-coating.com/corrosion_magnesium.htm

Shiny ally actually radiates less heat than a black painted surface, engine
paint is designed specifically to disipate heat.

Pete

jmelvin...@aol.com wrote:

Darren,

As a long time VW builder (40 years) I recommend you remove the paint. All
paint acts as an insulator to some degree and the last thing a VW needs is
more heat. I have always kept my engines bare and those of my customers.

John
El Paso

In a message dated 8/30/2011 9:33:10 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,