On 10/5/2011 8:46 AM, smwood wrote:
> Solder does not stick to well on them and even
> if you did solder the pins, you create a dissimilar metal joint that messes
> with the thermocouple calibration
Soldering does not create a dissimilar metal connection as such, but
creates an alloy at the junction of the two metals, which provides a
reliable conductive path. I have a hard time believing that the
calibration error introduced by this junction would be anywhere near
the  error introduced by the galvanometer (meter movement) it is
normally displayed on (considering that there are solder joints along
the meter path INSIDE the unit). What is the accuracy of the
thermocouple itself, 2-5%? Perhaps less accurate?

--
Glenn Martin
Biloxi, MS