What do you guys use for your electrical wiring between instruments and
such?

Most of the photos I've seen show wire that's quite thin (makes sense
for weight savings) - on the order of phone-jack wire or Cat5....

I'm assuming RG58/U for antenna wire...

Is there any issue with using Cat5 ethernet cable for making data (say,
encoder -> transponder) and audio-panel hookups, and with, say, 18ga
automotive wire for 14v power (to/from circuit breakers)?

Is there any real advantage to teflon-coated aircraft wire over more
common twisted-pair varieties?

I assume that power and data connections should be routed away from each
other...

The gear I bought has it's 'internal' harnesses intact (eg, between
navcom and obs, or between the various EFIS components), so most of my
wiring will be limited to audio and power.

The only 2 devices I need to connect for data transmission are the
transponder and the EFIS (which has an internal grey-code encoder)...