Yes, the KR-1 plans ARE abysmally short on details.  And while the KR2 plans
were a giant leap forward, they are still far short of the benchmark that
companies like Van's make for the RVs.  And like Craig said, that is why
this list exists, and the many websites at www.krnet.org where folks have
documented their aircraft construction in excruciating detail....to save
others from the same kind of pain and confusion that the KR plans foster.
Had Ken Rand lived longer, the KR would likely have been much more refined
(like the Glasair and Lancair), and the plans would certainly be much
improved.

I'm not trying to say that the KR is outdated or a bad way to approach a
homebuilt.  In fact, for most of the folks on this list, it's a near-perfect
way to build your own plane.  Which is why I'll build another one in a
similar method someday.

The plans NVAero sells originate from RR, and are the same plans that RR was
selling in the nineties, I believe.  The KR plans is one area that NVAero
has no control over...they still come from RR, and RR still keeps a log of
builders and serial numbers.    Any delays in obtaining plans from NVAero is
more attributable to a lingering RR mindset than a reluctance on NVAero to
deliver plans and parts in a timely manner...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com