shop during the build.  (lets not forget all 4 of the Bingelis books). I
cleaned the shop and got busy. I have the engine on its stand already ,
the firewall stainless removed as well, and this week did more useful work.
     #1: I grabbed the grinder and cut off all the old landing gear, as
well as removing the now useless hardware and cables for it. A BIG task
as a lot of it I would NEVER had been able to repair without having to
do MAJOR surgery. HORRIBLE QUALITY WELDS!! It scared me to think of
trying to land on this. Good riddance. Once again: when building your
plane ask yourself at each step: "When (yes: WHEN) I need to fix this,
how am I going to get to it?" This plane never had that question asked
once, thus I had to CUT it out!
     #2: I grabbed my Electric muti-function tool, put a cutting blade
on it and cut all the old foam and fiberglass material off the bottom of
the stub wings between the main and rear spars. This is where 1333a had
the retract wheel wells much like a Beachcraft Sierra, which puts HUGE
holes in the bottom of the stub wings. NOT  GOOD in this plane I assure
you, more drag is certainly not needed.  I got all the fiberglass for
that cut out (AND evicted the mice living there at the same time).
     #3: Removed the elevator, rudder and flaps. Damned hinges were all
lose as can be.  I'm replacing  the old bolts  with bolts that can be
safety wired. Going to make removable inspection covers for all the
hinges, and make an improved design for the elevator control horn that
will allow the elevator to be made and installed in 2 PIECES, so they
can be removed at will. It such a common sense thing and nobody  I've
seen has done this! I'll publish the plans on the net when I get it built.
     #4: Outlined and cut the turtledeck so that I  could remove it,
which I promptly did. (VERY similar to how Glenda McElwee did hers.)
IMMEDIATELY found two braces which were broke loose. That made this
effort worth every moment.
     #5. Turned the boat upside down on the saw horses with no
assistance. NICE!!! Now I can work on her at will!
     #6 Cleaned the shop, then went inside with the ORIGINAL ONE PAGE
PLANS and book, and began making the wing rib templates.  Personally
after 3 years of studying, I am VERY comfortable with these old, not
very detailed plans. I recommend this to newcomers to the KR : STUDY
STUDY STUDY. This KR Net is a GODSEND, as are the newsletters.. Don't
get in a hurry and try not to turn your KR into a Learjet. (yea..it took
time for me to get past that point too).
     Hopefully 4 more times up and I have my tailwheel endorsement, and
on Wednesday I take my CAP form 5 check flight. With those milestones
reached, THE TIME TO BUILD HAS BEGUN!! (PS I am also working on my
instrument rating, but that will be slower).
     One last bit of info: I've been told that with everything I'm doing
to my KR, it would be better to de-register 1333A and re- register her
as a new build, taking advantage of having my own repairman's
certificate. This will be done after I finish talking with my DAR.
     Its BEAUTIFUL here in South Mississippi. Hope it is where y'all are
too!

--
Glenn Martin,
KR2 N1333A,