Flying stories,

This may not be a flying a KR story but, I had a KR in my plans and dreams at
the time.

It was nearly 20 years ago when I was taking flying lessons that this
interesting flying event took place. I learned to fly in northern Indiana. The
small community airport I flew out of rarely if ever plowed the snow on the
runways in the winter. On this very chilli morning I arrived at the airport to
find that the Cessna 152 I flew had the radios removed for service. So, I
walked back into the FBO with my head low because I figured there would be no
flying for me today. I was greeted by a flight instructor and I informed her
that there were no radios in the 152 so I guess I couldn't fly. She quickly
responded by saying no Jeff, you can fly without the radios because you will
not be flying into any controlled airspace and the regs do not require you to
have them, so you don't need them. So, I thought, ok. I am going flying.
So, I jumped in the 152 fired her up and took off for a morning of building
solo time.
That morning the temps outside were about 10 below zero. The runways had
several inches of packed snow and my trainer always told me to be very cautious
with the use of brakes when on ice and snow.
So, being a young and dumb student, I took off knowing that local traffic would
be light as I had often found myself to be the only one dumb enough to fly in
some of the weather conditions I flew in. Always VFR but sometimes right on the
edge of barely being VFR or being extremely cold or windy. In other words, I
figured it would be another day when I would be the only one flying.
Off I went with a heading northwest to our practice area.  So, I got settled in
to enjoy the views of all the deep snow and the thrill of being in the air.
But, as a dumb student pilot, I paid little attention to how far I had flown
and suddenly found myself far outside my student area and I could see the
Chicago skyline. Well, it was time to turn around and I had to radios to
contact Chicago so I better get out of the area.
So, here I am at about 4500 feet way outside my flying area and with no radios
when I decided , Hey ! I probably should start lowering my altitude in
preparation for getting back toward my airports pattern altitude.
So, I put in some carb heat, pull back on the throttle and suddenly the motor
starts shaking and the whole plane shakes so bad I can barely make out the
panel. I check mixture, carb heat and throttle thinking maybe I have some carb
ice but nothing seems to make the plane stop shaking. Well, full throttle
seemed to get everything back in order so I continued on and decided the best
way to get down was to do a series of dives then shallow them out until I got
back down to pattern altitude by the time I made it back to my airport. I try a
couple more times to pull back on the throttle and I get the same bad results.
Then the thoughts came into my head. What if I got back to my airport and there
would be an airplane on the runway and I had an engine out and no radios to
warn anyone ? What if anyone was out practicing and they might be back taxiing
and I turn final and the engine quits ?
Well, I get back to the airport, I am at pattern altitude when what do you
know? There's the local flying clubs Piper 180 smack in the middle of the
runway just sitting still. 3000 feet of runway and I have about 1500 of ice
covered runway to land and get stopped. Lets hope I dont loose the engine, lets
hope I dont over shoot my target landing point, lets hope they dont decided to
turn around and back taxi the active runway.
Well, I held the power in long enough, its time to pull the power and hope for
the best. Well, I put in carb heat. The plane starts shaking and then the motor
quits. I remember my training which says, fly the plane. I dont have enough
altitude to really do a lot of checking and time to do much to attempt to
restart the engine so I concentrate on flying and landing and keeping my eye on
the piper 180 hoping it doesnt attempt to do a 180 back taxi and hoping I dont
over shoot and hoping I dont have to use much of my brakes on the icy snow
covered runway. Here it goes God, be my co-pilot, since I have no radio, please
allow me to land without that other plane turning around.
I come down, flare, cant see the Piper now so I can only hope it didnt start to
back taxi. I nail my target landing spot right on, avoid the temptation to slam
on the brakes and hope that all the flaps and drag slow me down as I very
slightly begin to apply the brakes. I get stopped, 10, 20 30 feet or more to
spare. The Piper 180 is sitting there never aware of what was happening behind
them. I open the door, fall to the ground, knees shaking from all the adrenalin
and I kiss the snow and thank God for letting me make it even though I was to
stupid to know better.
A couple of days later I return to the airport to get back in the saddle. When
I arrive I am told the engine was taken down for repairs. I believe they said
they had found that it had some burnt valves. They really wouldnt tell me much.
Soon there after I joined a flying club and completed my lessons in a Cessna
172. With most of my time landing on ice. I still managed to only have 41.3
hours of total time when the examiner signed off my check ride.

Merry Christmas KR friends

Jeff York
Georgetown Scott County FAA airport of the year
2010 Kr Gathering Peoples Choice and Best Interior
2011 Air Fest Best Experimental, Best Instrument Panel