I would not be so quick to jump to conclusions.  There are many things that
could have played a part in this and no one will know without running a
complete analysis on the damage.  And, then, we may still never know.  The
front bearing is a definite improvement and I would not fly a Corvair engine
without one, at least on a high performance plane.  As for the flywheel,
does the 14# harmonic balancer combined with a prop count for anything
toward a flywheel?  I don't know.

Someone suggested that someone out there should start making cranks.  Well,
someone did.  Brady at Magnificent Machine produced some and I think at
least one is currently in use.  They also eliminated the harmonic balancer.
I was talking to Joe at Revmaster one day about the new engine he was
designing.  He told me that he was getting a crank custom made for his new
engine and that the investment would end up being around a million dollars.
Any takers?

VW cranks used to break until they did the same things that the Corvair
builders are now doing.  I have flown VWs with no extra bearing and with the
so called front bearing like the Force One hub on the Great Plains.  I never
had a crank break.  I wonder how many hours PF Beck has on his Corvair
powered Piet with no front bearing and no broken cranks?

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2012 - KR Gathering in Mt. Vernon, Il – MVN – 40th
Anniversary
There is a time for building and it is almost over.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC