The ARROW acronym is known to many pilots.  One of the "R"s does stand for
radio but with conditions.
40 years ago, when I got my PPL, the FCC required a pilot/student pilot to
obtain an Radio Operators License to transmit on the com radios. This is
were the R in ARROW comes from.  The FCC has since deleted that requirement
if you fly within the borders of the USA.

  But there is a international requirement that pilots have a Radio
Operators License if they fly across the borders of other countries.

The bottom line is that if you fly within US borders, you will not need
licenses for the equipment or radio operator.

        A-Airworthyness
        R-Registration
        R-Radio
        O-Operations