The plate type of capacitance transducers are known for reading pretty
inaccurately due to the sloshing in the tanks. The feedback I have heard is
that they work just fine on the ground, but as soon as the plane is moving and
bouncing around the fuel gauges become relatively useless. If someone else has
been flying with them and has a different experience, I'd sure like to hear it.

 I did install capacitance gauges in my KR. I used the transducers from
Westach, which are a 1/4" aluminum tube with a wire suspended in the center
that is used to measure the capacitance. I found the tube type transducers to
be accurate and work quite well in rough air. I have had a history of the
Westach transducers losing the ground where the ground wire is riveted onto the
1/4" tube with a cheap pop rivet, but addressed that issue by wrapping and
zipping them down tight with some .020 safety wire. I've been flying with these
gauges in my KR for 15 years now. It's worth noting that the more modern
Westach transducers come with the ground wire already wrapped around the tube
at the rivet.

 Craig, my fuel system is set up similar to yours with a 9 gallon header and
two 6 gallon aux tanks that get transferred to the header. Maybe it's just me,
but in 900 hours I have never failed to look at the fuel gauge and transfer
fuel from the wings to the header. In fact, it is rare for me to ever allow the
header to go below 1/2 tank until after the wing tanks are dry. However, I have
forgotten to shut off the tranfer pumps a few times, so was pumping excess fuel
to the header which was sending it overboard. Don't try to over think it as all
the warnings can become a distraction. You may find yourself responding to
warnings that may not necessarily be as critical as just flying the plane
first. The only annunciator I have in my plane is the traffic proximity warning
on my PCAS. That's one that gets my attention, but after more than one near
miss while in cruise flight, I want it to get my attention.

 Jeff Scott
 Los Alamos, NM