Glenn Martin wrote:

>>Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with the Copperhead
gasket rings for the VW  engines we use? Seems like an awful good way to
make the top end seal to the best of its ability. and YES I'm working on
the engine now too!<<

I use them on my Corvair engines, which have similar head gaskets from the
factory.  I get the impression that the factory Corvair seals are either
thin steel with ridges in them to allow them to compress, or maybe even
aluminum, but they are shaped to crush to conform to any irregularity of the
interface between cylinder and head.  I've used Copperhead gasket rings on
just about every Corvair I've built, and the only exception was when I used
some .020" seals, which you can't get in a Copperhead.  I don't think
there's anything special about the Copperhead...just a good marketing name,
but you knew that already.  But to answer your question, I wouldn't hesitate
to use them...they'll work just fine.  You may want to check out my page on
setting up compression ratios if you haven't already, at
http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/valvejob.html , and there's a picture of the
copper head gaskets about a quarter of the way down the "Phoenix 3100cc"
page at http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/phoenix/ .

I just finished laying a pretty nice paint job on the rear bumper of my GTI.
I got the bumper off ebay for a fraction of what VW wants a new one for, but
the paint cost another $75 from the local DuPont store.   My son let the GTI
roll down the hill into a tree, but I was quite happy that the tree stopped
it from going further down the hill into my neighbor's living room!  It's
good to practice painting every year or two (like welding), especially when
it turns out nice.  I'll put it on tomorrow, and road test it on Monday on
the way to Jacksonville...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com