Cases are going to crack. The VW engine was only intended to run down the road
at less than 50% power most of the time. In an aircraft, you ask a lot more of
it than it was ever designed to do. Even Continental and Lycoming have cases
crack occasionally. The Lyc O-320 I overhauled for my Cub had to have one case
half welded and it only had 1855 hours total time since new. It happens due to
stresses on the case and possibly imperfections in the casting.

 With the VW case, it's unlikely that the case was checked for cracks with dye
penetrant before the engine was built, so it is possible that there was already
a crack there, either from previous use of the engine, or from a defect in the
casting. In either case, things like a poorly balanced engine will promote this
type of failure, but may not necessarily be the cause.

 Jeff Scott
 Los Alamos, NM