Phill,

 Take advantage of what the EAA has to offer. The local chapters vary
significantly, as do the tech counselors. Some don't know how to talk anything
but RVs, but that is the exception. Others offer help and experience with
everything from ultralights to warbirds.

 You do not have to join the local chapter to use the tech counselor program.
Not all tech counselors are necesarily associated with local chapters. However,
depending on the chapter, there may be a lot of experience in the chapter with
a lot of sage advice and a helpful hand when needed.

 I used to be a tech counselor and Flight Advisor and am currently a chapter
president. I can tell you that every meeting of our local chapter has something
to offer for the pilot/builder. The National EAA dues are $40. Local chapters
vary anywhere from $10 up. Our local chapter costs $20 a year for membership,
but gives access to a well equipped tool crib and a tremendous amount of
expertise no matter what kind of plane you are building. It also offers a lot
of comraderie, friendship, rides to fly ins, breakfast get togethers, etc.

 You are not required to use the EAA, the local chapters, or the Tech Counselor
program while building your plane. But they are services that are there to help
you build a safer and better quality aircraft. The only hook for the EAA is
that most insurance companies will require you to have participated in the Tech
Counselor and Flight Advisor programs if you wish to have hull coverage on your
first flight. The insurance companies and FAA both recognize the value of those
programs. You might want to consider the value they offer as well.

 -Jeff Scott
 Los Alamos, NM