Hi Buzz,

Do these spars have a finish on them and is it the finish that is crazing or is
it the wood?  There should be no finish on the top and bottom of the caps
because that will affect the bond of the fiberglass skin. Your choice of the
words "the stub spar have checking cracks" is interesting because "checking" is
a specific flaw in wood.  Checks are cracks in the plane normal (perpendicular)
to the growth rings, parallel to the grain, and are usually caused by improper
curing or storing of the wood.  Checking is generally bad in a spare although
some minor checking might develop in an old spar (usually large solid wood
beams).  If the checks are in the vertical plane of the cap it might be
acceptable but should be looked at by some one that knows what they are looking
at.  In my opinion a plane should never start life with checks of any kind.
Cracks across the grain are totally unacceptable.  I agree with Peter Drake,
walk away....

Pete Gauthier
Oregon