Orientation does matter.  For a given same cross section of the same type
lumber, the horizontal layering in a beam is about 15 percent stronger
according to a Forest Service handbook that I read about 25 years ago when I
was contemplating the same construction on my KR-2 spars.
The basic reason why is: Putting the layer lamination vertical will induce
shear stress in each piece of lumber when it is loaded ( pulling g's, hard
landings, turbulence, etc.).  That is in addition to the compression or
tension load that the spar pieces would be handling.   This tends to break
the grain along the length of the lumber.  The glue (epoxy) that you will be
using is much stronger than the resin bonds that the tree has put between
each individual wood fiber.  So, the horizontal layering can handle the
shear stress much better.
And the thinner the layers for the same built-up cross section, the stronger
will be the finished product.  There is a limit regarding how much epoxy
gets added versus the volume of timber in order to keep the weight to
strength ratio in bounds.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA
smw...@md.metrocast.net

I'm about to start laminating the timber to form my centre section
spars from pieces that are 19mm (3/4") thick.  Is the orientation of
the laminations significant?  I'm not sure why but all the laminated
timber beams I've seen have the lamination layer horizontal.  I can do
this but in this case I'd waste less wood if the laminations were
vertical.  Does it matter?

Cheers,

Tony King