------------------
Hi all,
This question is for anyone who has flown behind the 0-200, did your aircraft
have an oil cooler?  For anyone that perhaps changed their system, either to or
from, did you notice any significant difference?
I currently own a Davis DA-2, and it has an oil cooler, mounted to the side of
the lower cowling next to some vents.  I would like to install an oil filter
system, which would mean removing the oil cooler to mount the oil filter
assembly.  I have only flown it in the fall and over the winter, the
temperatures were cool, maybe even a little too cool.  But I haven't flown in
the heat of summer so i do not know if the extra cooling is necessary.
It appears the oil cooler was originally attached to the rear of the cylinder
baffles, then moved at some point to its current position.  I know the plane
was originally built in Florida, but most of the year we aren't as warm here.
(though last weekend we broke hi temp records at a "blistering" pace, 103
degrees in May in Nebraska, yikes).
Please share thoughts/opinions/experiences...
Thanks!
TJ
-----------------------

While the O-200 was designed by Continental to accommodate an oil cooler, very
few applications ever required it.  The most popular plane to use an O-200 was
the Cessna 150, and it did not use an oil cooler.  There was an opening just
below the spinner to supply air, and a baffle under the engine to direct that
air along the bottom of the engine and onto the oil tank.  That was generally
sufficient to keep the engine within spec for the oil temp.  On my KR, I didn't
use the lower baffling or provide the inlet hole, but instead built a standard
air box inside the carb air inlet area with sufficient room to spill air over
the sides of the air box to cool the oil tank.  Outside of that, my engine is
very tightly cowled.  Worst case I've seen in New Mexico with extended summer
time climbs to altitudes >12,000', I saw oil temps top out at up to 225°, and
that is while using Emags that are pushing the engine timing up to 39° BTDC.
That is still in the green for the O-200, and about as extreme as I could
possibly do to this engine.  My typical summertime oil temps usually top out at
210° on climb, then drop back to 200° during cruise.  While I know a couple of
the newer KRs out there are using oil coolers on their O-200s, I suspect they
were installed more as an abundance of caution than necessity. After 1200 hrs
operation in my KR, I don't see the need to carry the weight of an oil cooler
for an O-200 on a KR.  If the oil temps are running high, a little air supplied
to the front of the oil tank should address the issue.

-Jeff Scott
Cherokee Village, AR