My belief is that it depends on what type of tail wheel assembly you have. If
you have a castoring or non-castoring. The springs you see in cables are either
so you can still use the rudder while the tail wheel steering is locked in a
straight position, or because you might want to use full rudder while the tail
wheel is not pointing that way.

The tail weight on the KR, even with two fat people on board, will still allow
you to move it to apply whatever rudder position you like, and the springs are
a pain, they will wear and break and don't give a good feel. You are going to
need all the direct steering you can get to help on take offs. Landings it's in
the air anyway till about 25 knots, so it doesn't matter.

You may want to consider and place more importance on what type of tailwheel
you use rather than what cables you use. Many would recommend a pneumatic wheel
of some type. Experience of a solid tail wheel is that it just skips and
bounced around, especially on grass and doesn't really aid tailwheel steering.
Also, a solid tailwheel when taxiing on tarmac turns the back of the fuselage
into a sound box and you hear every pebble in the tarmac being ridden over. In
my plane, it was so loud, I stopped and got out as I thought the tail wheel had
fallen off and the tail spring was being dragged down the runway. From
experience, everyone I know who started off with a tiny solid wheel has turned
to a larger pneumatic wheel. Having good tail wheel steering ability also
increases the cross wind take off limits of the aircraft as you can keep the
tailwheel on the ground and steering well, long enough for airflow over the
rudder to increase so you can deal with the higher crosswinds when you lift
  the tailwheel about 35 to 40 knots.

So my advice, a solid direct cable, joined to the rudder cable in the fuselage,
the cable has no slack and no springs going to a pneumatic tail wheel.

With this arrangement, you could land on tarmac, gravel, grass, the beach,
snow, ice, golf courses all with no worries or concerns, except with golf
course, make sure they are not landscaped and that the longest whole is at
least a 400 yard par 4.

CH.

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png]<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
     Virus-free.