It was mentioned that "Short direct cables will only work if the wind is
straight on your nose and you are not producing any torque; otherwise it won’t."

Unfortunately this statement is completely wrong or has many errors and please
allow me to explain why.

As we all know, landings are easy, as you have no engine torque issues, and
high airspeed, so cross wind limits to land I would say are 20 knots plus
depending on how in practise you are.

But take off limits are different. On Take off, Jabiru and 0-200 engines torque
wants to turn the aircraft to the left and you have to apply right rudder to
keep straight. Therefore if the crosswind is coming from the right, that helps
weathercock the aircraft against the torque and you could take off easily in a
25 knot crosswind. A crosswind from the left adds to the engine torque and I
would limit a left hand cross wind to 15 knots or less if you have limited
length and need full power immediately, as you simply don't have enough rudder
authority when the tail lifts at about 30 knots. Below 30 knots the tail wheel
will be on the ground and steering the aircraft to the right or doing its best,
depending if on grass ,gravel, sand or tarmac, along with the rudder position.
If you put a spring on the tailwheel steering, it doesn't aid steering much if
at all and you can't keep it straight even with full rudder. It just goes where
ever the aircraft wants to take itself, as the rudder doesn't have enough
authority. SO short cables and no springs improves the crosswind take off
performance of KR2 taildragging aircraft 'without any doubt' and who wants an
aircraft you can only fly in calm nil wind conditions with the wind straight
down the runway?

The confusion that most pilots have is that most aircraft like cubs have a
rudder big enough to work at about 5 knots and the tail you can get off the
ground very quickly, so yes, tail springs work with them because the rudder is
so strong. The KR2 rudder is small and only really adds authority to direction
above 25 to 30 knots, below that you will be relying on the tail wheel
steering. Having springs in it won't help! And once the tail wheel is off the
ground, who cares what system you have as its off the ground and won't do
anything anyway.

In strong blustery conditions you don't three point an aircraft, well not a
KR2. If you tried to slow the plane up to three point in strong blustery
conditions, you'll right the plane off. Its best to wheel it on with speed,
speed is your friend and aids control, allows for sudden wind gradients, you
can see where you are going with the lower attitude, the rudder works fine, the
differential brakes will help, you try to keep the tail wheel up off the ground
with forward elevator until the aircraft speed is insufficient and it lowers,
the moment you feel it drop, just easy up and centre the rudder because the
tail wheel steering will take over and be direct as long as you don't have
springs.

The further example given was as follows. : "You are approaching to land and
have a three knot crosswind. You have one wing down into the wind and enough
rudder to hold the nose straight down the runway. As you slow down it takes
more rudder to keep it straight. Everything looks fantastic, it’s going to be a
great landing right up until the point that hard wired tail wheel touches the
ground. In that instant the tail is going with that tail wheel that is cocked
over at 25 degrees. Guess where the nose is going? You got it; every which way
that you don’t want it to go."

One would say that "Its not going to be a great landing if you touch down tail
wheel first? I've never landed my KR with the tail wheel anywhere near the
ground. You keep it in the air as long as you can, when it finally settles at
25 knots, as I mentioned just relax your feet. 25 knots is slow enough that
nothing is going to happen and you have direct steering anyway, no springs
messing it up.

Please watch the following videos if anyone has doubt of what is being said.
The wind is plus 20 knots and blustery between the trees with a strong wind
gradient, but with increased speed, not reduced speed to try to three point the
aircraft, the pilot has full control, aces the touchdown, and can keep the
aircraft straight with rudder and brakes until the tail settles at 15 knots
ground speed with the 15 plus knots head and crosswind, the pilot even has time
to wave to his friends and make them laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSJXKZhHkfQ

Also this video shows landing on Tarmac, short field approach on rough Grass,
landing on Gravel in Greenland with 15knots plus from the right, Tarmac at
StMary where the pilot was requested to expedite and approached at 100knots and
touched down at 80 knots, you'll not do be able to do that trying to three
point and on long runways you wheel it along with that tail off the ground
until dropping the power just before the turn off, so again tail wheel steering
is irelivant, as the tail wheel is not on the ground. Finally at Oshkosh, just
missing the yellow dot touch down point. You can see or hear when the tail
wheel touches down on all occasions and there is no sudden change in direction
as mentioned in the previous comments. I still see no reason to three point
KR2's. As to what tail wheel steering to have. Surely it is obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJuTyf2sJc

CH

But with slack in the cables, the tail wheel will snap straight in line with
the direction of travel and make you look like a master tail wheel pilot.

For springs to work you have to experiment a lot to get the correct tension
that will both allow the tail wheel to follow the direction of travel and be
powerful enough to steer you during taxi at slow speeds. The strength of the
springs is related to the mass aft of center of gravity and the arm of the
controls.

It’s an experimental aircraft though and you have to decide just how much you
want to experiment.

I am a CFI who teaches tail wheel. I would fly a KR with springs for the tail
wheel but only in dead calm winds. My recommendation though is to go with what
has been proven to work.

Victor Taylor