Hi Craig,

There was a discussion on here a few months ago about springs or not to spring.
Consensus was NOT TO spring.  Supercubs or any aircraft with a large rudder
that can have effect at low speeds have springs as you may be able to apply
effective rudder while the tailwheel is pointing in a different direction. But
with an ineffective rudder, you need direct steering. Most Cassuts or race
planes or anything with a small rudder does not have springs. My Kr2 doesn't
have springs.

The arguments are that, you need direct steering on the initial roll as there
is not enough airflow over the small rudder and the rudder has no initial
effect. By the time speed has increased so that the rudder can have some
effect, your tail wheel is off the ground because you have already raised the
tail to reduce drag and increase vision over the nose and tail wheel steering
doesn't work as your tail wheel is off the ground.

When you land, I believe consensus is to wheel the plane on, I don't know
anyone who three points a KR2. If you try to slow down to be able to three
point a KR2, you can't see anything over the nose and you are only a few knots
above the stall speed. So if you wheel it on, your tail wheel is off the ground
until you can no longer keep it off the ground with the effect of forward
elevator, at which point the rudder is not able to do anything again because it
is small, so when the tail wheel touches the ground, direct steering is what is
needed. Springs just make a mess of your ability to go in a straight line. A
soft pneumatic tailwheel is also much better than a hard tail wheel for
traction. A hard tailwheel just skits around and slips over the surface and
doesn't really do anything.

I have a large pneumatic tail wheel, but that is because I wanted to be able to
land on sand, gravel grass or tarmac and it is a lot quieter than a solid tail
wheel which sends shocks into the sound box which is the rear of the fuselage.

People may say everything I have written is wrong but then I can challenge them
to land and take off with me on any beach or salt bed, grass or any surface
they like with a 20knot crosswind and see who gets on best. If you mention that
you will only ever take off from a hard runway, then you are limiting where you
can fly, which would be a great shame.

Anyway, as you like.

Regards Colin H.

Video of landing on Grass Gravel Hard Surface Cross winds are at the following
youtube links. One thing in common, no one three points it and no one has
springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMOExnz7ZmI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSJXKZhHkfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5Ww4WYxfs