On 8/18/2022 7:50 PM, Craig Williams wrote:

Yes I was at idle but maybe not full aft.  It was at 50 and sinking at 500 fpm so I called it at that point.  I may try pushing it further to just see what it does.  Right now I really need to learn how to land the darn thing.  It's way different that when I flew it with tri-gear.
Craig

My advise, and you can take it for what it's worth, is if you landed the tri-gear on the mains with the nose wheel just off the ground that's the exact attitude I'd advise landing the taildragger.  Wheel landing are the only type I attempt.  Three point landings are inconsistent and difficult to perfect in a KR, in my opinion.  Most people call a "three point landing" a "full stall" landing.  That's not possible in a KR.  My KR has gear legs 6"s longer than all other Diehl equipped KR's except the one that Jeff Scott built and flew. I can touch tailwheel first with the wing still flying so no way a shorter leg bird can "full stall" in a three point landing.  I do tail low wheel landings then stick it on with just a hint of forward stick.  Once I can no longer hold the tail up full back stick to plant the tailwheel is safe and the wing is done flying.  Never try to force the tail down in a wheel landing or you could easily be flying again.

A maneuver to help perfect landings that you can practice in any airplane is as follows.  At altitude, in cruise, put the altimeter needle on an exact number. slowly reduce power to idle and keep the altimeter needle from moving all the way to the stall.  As the speed decays the movement of the stick / wheel will need to accelerate . That's the exact rate / force you will feel on final and in to the flare.  After several attempts you'll be amazed at what it takes to hold the needle motionless.

Larry Flesner