Mark,
Your aft CG story reminds me of the end of the Gee Bee company.  When the 1933
R-1 was wrecked in a landing incident, and the Granville's assets were sold
off, a race pilot named Cecil Allen purchased the remains of the R-1 and
rebuilt it for the Bendix race.  He added an aft fuel tank to extend the range
between fuel stops, despite the strong recommendation of the designer, Pete
Miller, against moving the CG that far aft.  At the beginning of the 1935
Bendix he filled all the tanks, and crashed soon after takeoff.  You were very
lucky!