I also use the Echo UAT in all three of my planes with varying degrees of success. They all work well, but some report higher error rates than others.

One thing to note when shopping for an ADSB Our solution is that the UAT solutions are relatively low power and have a very short broadcast range as compared to a 1090-ES solution for ADSB Out. The UAT transmitters broadcast at a nominal 5 watts, while 1090 -ES is part of your transponder output and is broadcasting at roughly 170 watts. What that means in practical terms is that your UAT-Out signal is only good for about 20 miles, while the 1090-ES signal typically reaches out close to 200 miles.

In some of our cases, the shorter range of a UAT transmitter may be desirable as you won't show up on Flight Aware type tracker apps unless you are close to a population center. However, in some instances, in particular with the tail beacons and wing tip beacons, if you are flying on an IFR flight plan, sometimes Center will lose your ADSB Out tracking, which becomes a bit of an annoyance to them and can lead to them filing a complaint with the FAA about your equipment malfunctioning. I've seen it happen to a pilot using a tailbeacon UAT Out that way properly installed and configured.

-Jeff Scott
Arkansas Ozarks