The very last place you'd want a cast crankshaft (steel or iron) in a VW engine is on your airplane! You need a forged steel crankshaft, preferably counterweighted, such as the SCAT crankshaft. You also need a front bearing to support it from breaking at the nose. Steve Bennett sold exactly that, and for good reason. Hopefully the folks that are now running Great Plains Aircraft are still selling that crankshaft and the front bearing designed to support the prop end of the crank for aircraft use. It's called the "Force One" prop and hub setup.

I know a little something about aircraft crankshafts, and how and why they fail. Please take my advice on this and don't cheap out. It could cost you your airplane, and your life.

Mark Langford
www.n56ml.com
m...@n56ml.com