On 8/17/2023 8:10 AM, robert7721--- via KRnet wrote:

I will be very tough and expensive to get insurance for/during Phase I testing.

Rob Schmitt

Getting insurance on an experimental, with auto conversion engine, and low time pilot may be tough or impossible to get. I'm sure the market has changed in 20 years but I went with AOPA for initial flight, paid quarterly, got a few hours and was able to switch companies at the end of the first quarter.

I've dealt with Sky Smith out of Iowa since 1998 starting with the TriPacer and they are great people to work with.  They bid all available companies they can and offer you the choice.  I'd certainly include them in your hunt for insurance.

My liability only rate started at $900 with AOPA 20 years ago, reduced to $600 range after the first quarter with another company, and declined to the $350 to $400 range and held there till I sold 211LF this past spring.

Flying without "motion hull" is a personal choice.  How much can you afford to lose?  Flying without liability is another matter. What level of assets do you need to protect.  Can you afford that Lear Jet you taxi in to?  Is that passenger you give a ride to going to sue you for your home and business?  It's the game of life.  Every thing is a gamble.  O.K. roll the dice.

Larry Flesner