Steve had me send my 69mm 1045 German forged steel crank to Ken Shawoosch (
Spelling of his last name may not be correct, but the pronunciation is correct
) , early in the 1990’s to have my crank deep drilled and tapered. He said that
they will break within 10 hours of any prop strike. Mine was a brand new crank
that I had tapered and deep drilled for GPASC 3 degree prop hub. Without the
deep drill. The bolt and prop loading was on the first .875 thousands of the
crank. By deep drilling, you moved the bolt loading 2” into the crank, and if
your crank broke, it would not separate in flight from the crank. “ Does that
sound familiar “?
Sent from my iPhone