I know a number of you KR fliers are using uAvionix EchoUAT ADSB in and out units in your planes. In January, I received a notification from uAvionix that they would be offeringcredit on the Echo UAT units towards another purchase, or send a free altitude encoder to fix an issue with ongoing "Bario Alt" high error rates in the FAA PAPR reports. 2 months ago I was notified by the FAA that I had 45 days to repair my ADSB unit or it would be blocked, effectively denying me in-flight weather updates and access to Class B and C airspace. Sure enough, sometime in the last month my unit stopped receiving inflight weather, so must be blocked.

Yesterday I finally received the free encoder to add to the Echo UAT unit. This morning I installed the tiny solid state encoder and applied two software updates from my phone via wifi to the EchoUAT unit. The encoder comes with a plug and play wiring harness, so the installation is dirt simple. No harness to build, power to run or wiring to be done. After installation, I flight tested the aircraft, then pulled an FAA PAPR report and found no errors reported on my unit. Now to get the FAA to unblock my unit and allow me to start getting weather updates again.

If you have not contacted uAvionix to request the free encoder for your EchoUAT, you can make the request on their web site at <https://uavionix.com/echouat-update/> You will need the specific model and serial number of your unit, but just fill out the form and uAvionix will eventually get the encoder to you. I found the update to be simple enough that I installed the encoder and software updates in all three planes this morning.

-Jeff Scott
Arkansas Ozarks