I test fly experimental aircraft professionally. There are arguments both ways
on whether or not to do high speed taxi test.
I had an incident about two months ago where the client said the airplane was
ready to go. It looked ready but my policy is that I don’t test fly without
high speed taxi test. Everything went well until I pulled the engines back from
a full power run down the runway and both engines quit simultaneously. I was
told that I probably pulled them back too fast. So on the next pass down the
runway an engineer was sitting in the right seat and we lifted off and I eased
the power back very slowly only to find that both engines shut down again.
Obviously this was a problem that I was glad had happened while over the runway
rather than away from the airport.
Turns out it was a manual to electronic handoff of the throttles and when power
was reduced while at speed the props would windmill causing the electronics to
sense a problem and thus shut both engines down.
The engineers looked at it then redesigned the electronics which solved the
problem.
Bobby Ibrahim was a close friend of mine that died a year ago on a test flight.
Had he done a high speed taxi first he would have found the airplane to be
unsafe to fly and would not have gotten killed.

Pilots do things differently but for me I’m sticking with what has kept me safe
for all these years. I won’t fly a new plane until I’ve done runway hops.

Victor Taylor