You can span a cluster over public networks if you use some kind of overlay
network (like flannel), as long as the nodes can talk to the apiserver and
each other.

When a node disappears (stops checking in with the apiserver), it will
eventually be drained and the pods on it deleted; controllers will then
create replacements that​ get scheduled onto the remaining nodes.

Instead of a single cluster spanning multiple regions also consider
federation to tie multiple clusters into a kind of meta-cluster.

/MR