Pod restarts should not create new series'.  Only if they get rescheduled,
as in a rolling update.  In that case they ARE different.

On Sep 6, 2017 2:06 AM, <sergei.storozhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there any way to create ordinal index of pods in a normal ReplicaSet
similarly to StatefulSet?
>From functional point of view this doesn't make much sense. But could be
really useful for our monitoring solution. We use Prometheus that scrapes
metrics from kubernetes cluster and sends it to InfluxDB.  Each newly
created pod gets a unique name by adding a random suffix. The problem is
that each time a new pod of the same replica is created, a new time series
is created. This increases the metrics cardinality reducing performance and
increasing memory footprint. It also results in creating each time a new
line in a dashboard instead of continuing the same line.
For example, suppose, we have a ReplicaSet with 2 replicas and each replica
had 5 restarts. This will result in 10 separate time series and 10 lines in
a monitoring dashboard, while with the ordinal index in place, there will
be just 2.
When dealing with very long time intervals, hundred/thousands time series
will be created for the same instance instead of one.
Any suggestions are  greatly appreciated

  • [kubernetes-users]... sergei . storozhenko
    • [kubernetes-u... 'Eric Tune' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
    • Re: [kubernet... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: [kube... 'Eric Tune' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re: [kube... sergei . storozhenko
        • Re: [... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • R... sergei . storozhenko
            • ... Matthias Rampke
              • ... sergei . storozhenko
                • ... Matthias Rampke