Not sure what you really mean. You use a load balancer that exposes the
kubernetes service typically. You can also use an ingress controller.

But why involve, and how, api gateway?

And ELB have a security group, you just enable what is reasonable there if
you want. Or just use service type load balancer and Kubernetes will do it
for you (sg and that).