I think this is exactly the sort of thing that a custom deployment-like
operator is good for.  You have particular needs that are not easily
satisfied with existing constructs.  CRDs and controllers let you build
this, and figure out how you want it to work.

Later, maybe, you can solicit other users, and see if it satisfies them
too.  Or not.