I read the VMWare page. AFAICT they are not saying that a VM can be spread
across multiple physical hosts. A "resource pool" appears to be a quota
pool. They are using a quota model somewhat like the kube-arbitrator
<https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/kube-arbitrator>, where quota is a
guaranteed minimum (rather than a maximum like Kubernetes ResourceQuota),
and they're saying that if there is unused quota in some pool, then it
becomes available to other pools on a temporary basis. So a VM may be
drawing resources (quota) from multiple resource (quota) pools, but the
VM is only actually running on a single physical host.

At least, that's my reading of the page.