Read up on FTP passive mode and you'll understand why. In passive mode, the client first talks to the server on port 21, and then the server picks another randomly assigned port to listen on which the client then communicates with going forward. Kubernetes (and docker) won't have that randomly assigned port exposed, which is why this is failing.

Seem to me you have 2 options: 1) either only use active mode, or 2) run the FTP server pod using "hostNetwork", so that it has full access to all ports on the host machine.

I would think that option 2 won't work very well with Kubernetes, as Kuberenetes won't know about the port(s) your FTP server is listening on, and you'll wind up with port conflicts.

HTH,

DR