> > I have an Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) notebook with Kubuntu-desktop (4.8)
> > which has been upgraded to Kernel 3.5.0 and the "-lts-quantal" series of
> > Xorg servers by Ubuntus recommendation.
> >
> > When installing the latest KDE 4.10 packages from your PPA, apt-get
> > wants to remove all the Xorg servers, ubuntu-desktop and some other
> > packages and installs the old precise Xorg servers again - but doesn't
> > downgrade the kernel, so the next boot fails with a blank screen because
> > kernel graphics system and Xorg don't match any more.
> >
> > Manually resolving this issue I managed to get the "lts-quantal" Xorg
> > server packages reinstalled and all of KDE 4.10 installed - EXCEPT for
> > kde-windowmanager. Why is this? Can this be resolved so adding this PPA
> > and upgrading the Kubuntu 4.8 to the 4.10 packages doesn't remove any
> > essential packages?

Hi, it seems you're trying to install the HWE stack, I believe that the wiki
is missing a couple of packages on the command line. For Kubuntu / KDE you'll
need something like :

For Raring :
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-raring xserver-
xorg-lts-raring libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-raring libegl1-mesa-lts-raring libgles2-
mesa-lts-raring

Gives me [1]

For Quantal :
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-quantal xserver-
xorg-lts-quantal libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal libegl1-mesa-lts-quantal
libgles2-mesa-lts-quantal

Gives me [2]

Note that this is with KDE 4.11 , should probably also work on KDE 4.10 I
suppose.

> Anyone else convinced now that trying to backport three releases back is
> possibly more trouble than it's worth?

I disagree, this is more or less due to the lack of having a  documented way
of how to install the HWE stack with Kubuntu. I don't see how this issue has
anything to do with KDE backports. ( Atleast to me most of the issue seems to
be the HWE stack ). I still think it's worth investing time in backporting new
KDE releases to the LTS version, especially since the last couple of releases
have bought in major performance improvements.

Regards
Rohan Garg

[1] http://paste.kde.org/p2a27cf42/
[2] http://paste.kde.org/p24d28a1c/