while moving wiki pages it struck me as very odd that we *require*
people to start a wiki page on their person, detailing their past
achivements and so forth.

upon thinking about it for a bit I came to conclude that this is a bit
of a silly requirement and having talked about it briefly on IRC there
was some agreement on this.

why is it silly?
because people will most likely not update it. so it very much is part
of the candidacy but after that it just stays there and rots away
containing ever so incomplete and/or outdated information.

what to do instead?
as JR mentioned on IRC, the information in general is handy for the
candidate review. so, dropping that requirement entirely probably
isn't an option. instead I would like to propose to change it to a
free-form "write about your past deeds and future plans on a suitable
web medium" (albeit, more words than that :P)

how so?
to us it does not matter whether the information is on the wiki, or on
launchpad, or a personal blog, or linkedin, or 3000 twitter posts
(well, actually that might count as a not suitable medium ;)). so,
requiring someone to create information where they perhaps do not want
to have it and/or won't maintain it doesn't make aaaaaaaaaany sense.
instead people should write about their awesomeness where they feel
this information should reside.

testimonials...
for some reason additionally testimonials are
suggested/required/necessary/cool, usually people would probably ditch
them at the wiki page. alas, that does only happen after the candidate
asks for a testimonial anyway, so whether he asks them to write on a
wiki page or send them a mail with the testimonial makes no
difference.

any thoughts?

HS