Matthew Hall wrote:
> Hi Avi,
>
> I spoke to you a while ago on #kvm on freenode - I had a problem with
> ide ops on an amd svm host with kvm. The issues regarded the inability
> to access ida devices (hda/hdc) under qemu & kvm on my host - if this
> triggers your memory...
>
> The last point I got to was that it was kvm and amd specific. Id est,
> the same image run under an intel vmx host with the *exact* same image,
> kvm version and command options (svn 'trunk' from the $date).
> The issue seemed to be AMD and kvm specific (running with '-no-kvm' made
> everything work ok, but slower, as you'd expect).
>
> I got word of a possible workaround, from one of your colleagues whilst
> you've been away, to use the boot options 'noapic nolapic' on the host
> o/s. Using these options solved my hd* op problems and I can boot ok now.

I've seen a very similar problem on an IBM x460.  The main symptom I see
is lost timer interrupts in the host.

I haven't spent much time looking into this but I suspect it's almost
certainly related to the fact that KVM is using a different interrupt
delivery method than Xen.  Xen doesn't seem to have an issue on this
system.  I suspect that the interrupts being received that's causing a
VMEXIT is not actually getting propagated to the host (the timer being
the most frequent interrupt to cause a VMEXIT).  If we switch to not to
acknowledging the interrupt before the VMEXIT and then regenerating it
either with a software interrupt or delivering it directly in the host,
it's possible this problem may go away.

This is all just speculation though.

regards,

Anthony Liguori